View Single Post
Old 10-19-2005, 11:50 AM

Default Re: When the turn card doesn\'t change anything heads up

I generally keep firing in situations like this. However, it is opponents specific.

Against a known flop peeler, it is an easy bet. If they call the turn, you know you are beaten. If they fold, you may have just folded better overcards than your own, which is allways nice [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Against aggressive players, we would have expected a flop check-raise if they had a piece. So a bet again looks good -- they are probably peeling with a weak draw or weak overcards, or are trapping. Again this situation looks like a turn bet is also profitable, and certainly the easiest way to play the hand.

The least clear cut situation is postflop tight-passive players who simply call down with any piece and let you hang yourself. In this situation, I think checking the flop and folding to a river bet (which is unlikely to be a bluff) is sometimes a good plan. Things like whether to fire at a good bluff card (A/K) etc on the turn or river are really context dependent and I really can't say.

In general, with a low, drawless flop, many players will simply peel. Your fold equity goes way up on the turn, so I think as a general rule betting here is a good idea.