View Single Post
Old 06-06-2005, 05:44 PM

Default Re: Got trashed for this one

Villian shows down 24o MHING.

He says in the chat box "thanks for the free card."

I said "as if you would've folded"

He says, "I don't chase inside str8 draws"

I said "you just did"

After reading commentary on this I'm more confused about when checking the turn is correct. Part of the reason why I checked is that I seem to always fire the second barrel and either get check-raised and have a tough decision or get to take the free showdown and get shown bottom pair. This happens a lot.

I've been trying to tone down my HU auto-betting on the turn and river because I seem to be spewing so much in these situations. This ragged flop seemed to offer very little reason for SB to hang around especially since he called my pf raise. When the J hit on the turn that put a 2nd in play card on the board plus a flush draw and made me feel even less likely to get a fold off a turn bet. Getting C/Red would really suck here and seems very likely to happen with anybody holding any semi-bluff draw or pair hoping I'm pushing overcards. I've been thinking that showing weakness and inducing river bluffs might be a better route because it costs the same and I always get to show my hand down and I only pay more when I hit on the river. The obvious problem is the free card I'm giving but what am I really protecting here? My hand is weak and I'm likely not wining at showdown anyways. If we're both drawing he'll miss most times and will either bluff at me or check again. If he has a weak made hand he might give me a free showdown and I save a BB.

In this case the free card let the guy hit a very unlikely draw but my experience at 1/2 6max so far has been that players chase any live draw HU and will call down with bottom pair enough that auto-betting for folds/value with overcards is costing me a lot. If the board is very coordinated or has really obvious draws I'm still auto-betting here but in this case with such a crap board I thought checking might be good.

What guidelines do you guys use in figuring out when to check behind HU on the turn? I'm pretty sure this is a weak part of my game right now as I cannot articulate my strategy here.