View Single Post
Old 10-25-2005, 04:15 AM

Default Re: Are SNG players good poker players ??

let me just break down NO limit. im not even gonna get into limit right now. in my mind, there are 3 different types of NL cash games. Heads up, 3-6 handed, and 7-10 handed. it takes a different skill set to beat each of these games. certain adjustments NEED to be made to adjust to the number of players and the rapidity of the blinds coming around. a HU expert may get destroyed playing in a full ring game, and a full ring expert may get annhilated playing heads up.

SNGS are another NL skill set. to beat the small games, you need to know how to play tight early and learn to pick up the blinds late shovebotting. thats fine and dandy for the 33s on down. the 55s can be beat shovebotting, but messing around a bit more is acceptable as you have 200 extra starting chips.

the 109s are where it starts to get interesting. you can shovebot there.. but prolly not for more than about 6% roi. if you work in some solid cash game skills and play a bit post flop early, you can greatly increase yer return. the people that beat the 109s+ are generally very solid poker players at all different types of games, be it heads up, short handed, or even full ring cash games. they can usually mix up their game and adjust to different situations very quickly.

to ask a question like is a sng player a good poker player is kinda funny. if hes a good sng player, hes a good poker player, because he is playing poker. if hes bad, he prolly isnt a very good poker player, because he is losing at a poker game. im rambling now. eastbay summed it up very well. just read what he said. its late i get chatty. holla