View Single Post
Old 11-06-2005, 04:46 PM

Default Re: Law Firm Summer Associate Offers. Big v. Small Firm (long)

Yeah the 1600 requirement is hard to believe. Especially considering they do have some fairly big clients (developers and a few decent sized cities). I get the impression like it's a place where people work hard but then take a lot of mini-vacations. I guess I wouldn't know the real deal until I took the job.

The big firm draw is hard to shake. I went to law school thinking that I'd probably have to grind it out at a big firm for a few years and then go in-house, small firm or public sector. But now that I have an option to skip the 2400 hours working with ego driven gunners, i'm very very tempted.

As for the weenie thing: they aren't really weenies but you have a point. Probably a little bit more liberal then me but a lot of the guys at the small-firm have a hardball reputation and are involved in community work I approve of.

Investment Banking: I always tell my friends who are considering law school to make the big dough they should just become iBankers.

Those of you who know attorneys who have been burnt out by a big firm and then moved to public sector, small-firm or in-house corporate jobs: Do you think those people count the big-firm experience as valuable or would they have just skipped all that if they could?