View Single Post
Old 11-07-2005, 03:23 AM

Default The Persistence of Memory

I think memory plays a big part in one’s level of intelligence. Does it and to what degree does it and does it always?

I wonder because I think of folk who have photographic memories. I understand that not all these folk can assimilating information so well.

Is there a minimum level of intelligence one must posses to make one “smarter” if one had better memory?

I am thinking that some folk have “street smarts”, others are geniuses but have no clue to what’s what. Others are all around bright folk. How does the level of one’s memory capabilities relate to all of this? (As an aside: What other things go into the overall "smarts" of a person?)

I’ll use myself as an example. If I could remember a fraction of all that I have read or learned in life I think I would have a higher IQ. Is that true? Sometimes I’ll read something and fully understand the text. But if asked to summarize what I just read, I might have a hard time recalling enough detailed information to put together a coherent thought. But, if allowed to use the text I might be able to write a summary of equal stature as a person with a higher IQ, who didn’t need to rely on the text, would.

Also, does anything affects one’s memory - I don’t mean alcohol or things like that. I mean is the level of memory capabilities a static thing? Things like trauma would it seems - what other things do if any?

Any thoughts on this?