View Single Post
Old 09-06-2005, 10:45 PM

Default Ethics re: buying then returning stuff

A lot of students around here don't have money. Walmart and Target have a 3-month return policy, so I often hear cases of my friends taking advantage of them for stuff like can openers, mirrors and computer games like Counterstrike (for the cd-key). I have one friend "E" who is a buy/return maniac... he has bought/returned a screen projector, a laptop and even a Sonicare toothbrush. Yes, it's pretty sad. E, however, is heavily in debt due to a gambling problem. On top of that, he loves to spend lavish amounts of money on things he doesn't need, but he doesn't work to earn money, and any time he needs cash he just asks his parents.

I have another friend, "H" who I have mentioned before in my Uhaul story, who has caught the buy/return bug. He just bought a 42" Flat Screen Plasma TV for himself and his 2 roommates and he's planning to return it in 3 months (minus 1 day of course) for a full refund. He plays poker and is decently well off in terms of money.

Now..
1) Who is worse: broke guy "E" or cheap guy "H", or are they equally horrible? Or are their actions perfectly justified against these monster conglomerations?
2) How should one approach E if he's sick of this behavior? How should one approach H?