View Single Post
Old 12-15-2005, 07:49 PM

Default Re: A \"boycott\" of WPT events forming down the road?

I don't really understand how you say TV focused in on the established poker community....Erick Lindgren, Daniel Negreanu, Gus Hansen....those were established guys?

I don't think they were.

Take Barry Greenstein. No one would've known anything about him until he played a WPT event. He's one of the best players in the world. People knew Hoyt Corkins before they knew Greenstein.

If we're putting players in leagues, and not to pick on Hoyt bc he's a great player, but I think we know which one of those players is the NFL and which one is the CFL.

You're right that the absolute elite players did not need TV, but those are few and far between.

I don't think you can question who needs whom more.

As to the OP:

I don't think these players will boycott. They don't have as much power as they think. I do not believe the WPT or ESPN or any other network particularly cares if 50 Andy Blochs boycott an event.

The only person who could move the needle on something like this is Doyle Brunson. You need him in your event. After that, the parts are pretty interchangeable.

That is NOT true in the NFL, NBA, or any other big sports league. Those are athletes. They're performance has very little to do with luck. Daniel Negreanu may be a superstar in the poker world, but guess what? He hasn't done very much this yr in the way of final tables. Kobe Bryant will score 30 points when he feels like it. There's a big difference between the two.

And my apologies if I was rude or condescending.