View Single Post
Old 09-26-2005, 11:09 AM

Default Re: Post College Depression

Your post is very moving in its honesty. I am 10-15 years older than I'm guessing you must be, but I do remember the pressure I felt as my college graduation approached and immediately after I graduated. I don't know if it was society's expectations or my own, but I do recognize it now as the just the general pressure to be something. At that time I thought the period of my life that I was alloted to become something was over and it was time to be someone or something.

Well, now that I'm older I realize that there aren't really mile markers that tell you when you've become the person you're supposed to be. Being happy, and being "someone" takes work, and you never reach a moment when you can stop working and say, "well, I'm here now, I can relax." Every time you figure one thing out, life throws you another curve, and you have to figure something else out. But this is a good thing because once you realize that you can never "master" life, you're free to be happy with who you are at the stage of life you're in at the moment.

Good luck. Never forget that anything worth having is worth working for, including happiness, and self-acceptance.