View Single Post
Old 08-06-2004, 11:47 AM

Default Re: Internet Poker books

I have read both and I would say Hilger's book is the better book for someone starting out and want to learn good fundamentals, theory combined with practical applications (in the hand quizzes).

Middle Limit Holdem is not a beginner's book. It is geared for an experienced player and is designed to help you read hands and get a feel for where you stand in certain situations. Despite some of the criticisms from other 2+2 posters, I still believe that Middle Limit Holdem is a good book. This book, however, is mostly hand quizes. Some of the answers may be wrong or debatable but if you look beyond that and look at the reasoning behind the decisions and make your own judgements then I would say it is still a valuable book. This book is not a beginner's book and is probably best read after you have some solid experience under your belt.

If I were to start limit hold'em from scratch, I would buy and read these books in order:
WLLE - still the best beginner book out there b/c it quickly moves you from total beginner to competent player able to avoid too many problems.

Internet Texas Hold'em - really covers a tremendous amount of material that can easily take you from rank beginner to advance.

Theory of Poker - enough said

Then, after absorbing these books and gaining solid game experience, I would read and study these books:

The Play of Hands - the best book on hand reading and understanding the thought process of a real pro. I consider this book essential.
Middle Limit Holdem
SSH - only half way through but I can already tell it is a must read
HEFAP