View Single Post
Old 12-27-2005, 04:38 PM

Default Re: K/9o in CO, dead SB — steal?

[ QUOTE ]
Hmm. Didn't know "stop-n-go" was position-dependent. Thought it meant anytime you smooth-call a hand you can raise with then raise on the next card. Noted.

I wish posters here would be more consistent with their slowplaying advice, though. Why doesn't it matter in this case? Are there clear-cut guidelines as to when I should wait or not?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll give you my thoughts, though I reserve the right to make a bad play at any time [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I generally don't wait HU with small cards like these, even on a drawy board. some reasons why:

1) he might not always bet the turn. if he has a hand like clubs or 78, he could be hoping you fold or just betting because his cards are pretty

2) if he does have a made hand, and a card like an A or K comes, he may freeze up and go into his shell, fearing that your "obvious" AK just hit. he may still call down (do they ever fold) but now you've cost yourself 1SB

3) against real aggro players who aren't maniacal, I generally prefer that 3SB go in (on the flop) rather than 3 BB (on the turn) if I can't fold (worse 9, draws getting nutty, etc) and all I have is one pair

I'd be more inclined to pull thwe waiting for turn line on an A or K or Q or generally drawless board, because he's more likely to lead again, less cards will make either of us freeze up, and he's less likely to 3-bet me cause he sees clubs and assumes I must be semibluffing. of course this is more thought than I'd give an unknown for at many limits, but these are my typical thoughts in my games.

that said, shant has a good point for two reasons

1) it's important to mix it up occasionally. if I called and raised the turn last time and he folded, I'll raise the flop this time and see if that gets more $ out of him. I can't use that to get a great read because it's so situation dependant, but yeah.

2) if the things I typed are correct (no guarantee) where does one draw the line between wanting to wait and raising now? K top pair? T top pair? 9 top pair? how drawy does the board have to be? etc. I think if you think about why you want to make certain moves and what kinds of hands he might have and how he'll respond with each of them you'll come up with a pretty good frequency, since who knows, maybe it doesn't matter after all