View Single Post
Old 11-24-2005, 03:16 PM

Default Re: Rowand for Thome

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For a team that has been as historically cash strapped as the White Sox, getting a player of Thome's caliber while having another team pay a hug chunk of his salary is a major coup.
The simple fact is that the Sox don't draw, and I'm not convinced that winning the World Series is going to change that. Nobody wants to take their family to a night game in the ghetto. Even if you get in and out of the stadium okay, you still have to worry about your kids seeing a fight in the stands, which is far more common at Comiskey than Wrigley.

[/ QUOTE ]

the White Sox increased their average attendance per game by 4,500 this year, going from ~60% capacity in 04, to ~70% capacity in 05. look for this number to jump again this year with all the cubs fans jumping ship.

[/ QUOTE ]
Cubs fans aren't jumping ship. Have you ever been to a game at Wrigley? Half the people at a Cubs game have no idea what is going on in the game. You'd be hard pressed to find another pro venue filled with as many people who have no clue what they are watching. I can't begin to estimate the number of times I have heard the fans errupt when Sosa made contact, only to turn in to "awww" a split second later when they realize its an infield fly and not a homer.
The reason that Wrigley is packed is that its an event. People go there to drink beer and call their friends on their cell phones. They don't care if the Cubs win. These kinds of people aren't going to take the red line to 35th because there is nowhere they can hang out and drink before and after the game. Unless there is some major changes in the neighborhood around comiskey, things aren't going to change. Winning will bring in some fans down the stretch, but they aren't going to come anywhere close to filling the stadium on a consistant basis.