View Single Post
Old 11-11-2005, 07:56 PM

Default Meditations on getting a Vespa

So as of tomorrow at noon, the TT will be returned to Audi. Yes, my lease is over I'd get a new car but to be honest I so rarely drive that I'm not sure if it is worth the monthly payments.

So I have been contemplating getting a Vespa and moving back to downtown NYC. I have never driven a scooter before, as a youth I had dreams of riding a totally mod scooter chromed out to the n'th degree with 10 mirrors - ala Jimmy in the movie Quadrophenia.

Since I'm a neophyte in the scooter world, there are lots of variables.

1) safety - I have lots of metal in my left elbow from a skiing accident, 4 screws holding me together. Perhaps riding a scooter isn't the smartest?

2) comfort - Will it be too cold in NYC to even consider riding 9 months out of the year?

3) clothing - what kind of clothing should I get to stay warm, while avoiding looking like a complete tool?

4) security - is there a theft problem? Where do I leave my bike when I am not riding it? How much is motorcycle parking usually in NYC parking lots?

5) Old or new - The classic bikes look the best, but maintenance is a bitch . The newer styled bikes are much friendlier and faster, but they are all automatic (I'm used to driving a stick, so I assume a clutch will be a no-brainer for me).

6) training - how do I learn to ride this thing? Should I get my motorcycle license before or after I get the scooter?

7) timing - I am moving to NYC in January I think. Should I get the bike now ($0 down, no interest for 365 days - program ends at start of December) or later (no need to change insurance/registration)

Lastly... what is your opinion of TT becoming a scooter boy?
?

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]