Thread: Five Card Draw
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2005, 11:48 AM

Default Re: Five Card Draw

[ QUOTE ]
Hi
I've been thinking about starting to play Five Card Draw.
Can anyone recommend any books?
Or have there been written any books at all?

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, time for standard Tom Bayes five card draw spiel.

The standard books (as already mentioned) are:
Mason Malmuth "Winning Concepts in Draw and Lowball" (2+2)
Mike Caro's chapter in Doyle Brunson's "SuperSystem" (not SuperSystem II which just came out a year ago)

Some out-of-print references you might find on E-Bay or Amazon that I have that are decent include:
Norman Zadeh "Winning Poker Systems"
Albert Morehead "How to Play Winning Poker"
Michael Weisenberg "Free Money"

The problem with almost all of these books is that they assume an obsolete form of draw poker played with a 53-card deck (joker as the "bug"), jacks-or-better to open, played with antes. If you are planning on playing draw poker online, you will find it played with a 52-card deck (no joker), blinds, and you can open on anything.

Michael Weisenberg wrote a series of articles for CardPlayer Magazine on the 5-seated limit draw games with blinds, which is the game played on Paradise and PokerRoom. Here's a link to the main article

Search the archives at www.cardplayer.com to find others. Also check out the "Other Poker" forum here for more draw posts.

If you are planning on playing pot-limit draw (found at 24h or PokerRoom) and/or draw tournaments, you'll have to adjust some of the advice you'll read, as most of it meant for limit cash games. I like draw tournaments and find most draw players aren't very good at adjusting for changing tournament conditions.