View Single Post
Old 12-07-2005, 07:03 PM

Default Re: Thoughts on a session today (boring)

Standard disclaimer: I'm new to NL, proceed with caution.

Preflop is standard, I'd probably check/fold the flop...IMHO it's just not worth getting into a confrontation, a poor player is going to have a hard time getting away from his hand even if he only has something like second/third pair...you'll probably have to fire two barrels and that might not even work (against a good player who's capable of making the laydown I might try it occcasionally). In gneeral, save it for when you do hit the flop and collect.

As far as continuation bets go...I think you need to consider the texture of the board with regard to both the size of your continuation bet and whether you should be betting. Sometimes throwing out a pot sized bet screams you missed with overs and are trying to pick it up where a 1/2 pot bet might actually project more strength (represent an overpair or something).

Sometimes it's best to take a free card when you have position instead of trying to win it on the flop (In general, I've started doing this with OESD's but I tend to bet with FD's and gutshots). Like I said alot will depend on your opponent(s)...if they're really timid I'll bet with anything, if they're calling stations or aggressive players who might come over the top I proceed more carefully.

Like I said though, I'm still learning...hopefully some others will chime in.

J

EDITED TO ADD: I'm also much more likely to take a free card with position in a multi-way pot when I miss....