View Single Post
Old 04-04-2005, 02:35 AM

Default Re: My second live sng: 99 on 245 flop

[ QUOTE ]
Pretty early in a 150 dollar live sng. Blinds are 100-200, av stack 8k. 9 starting, 8 left. I have about 6k in my stack.

I get 99 utg, and decide to limp. I don't like getting any calls and have to play a big pot out of position. Besides there are some habitual pf raisers that I'd love to push this hand on. Unlike earlier hands, 3 people limp behind me, sb completes and bb checks.

6 people see the flop, pot 1200 chips.

comes 245, rainbow, sb and bb checks. I overbet 2k into the pot, since I'm sitting really reclined and doing my bets with my feet.

one fold, and then the chipleader pushes me allin. I drew a bad beat on him in an earlier tourny, and he's been joking a lot about getting me back for it. Everyone folds up to me, and I....?

My feeling is that he thinks I'm weak, but I do figure he has a made hand of some kind - he wouldn't push on me with nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

The phrase is "no set, no bet." It is not, "no set, no bet, unless you have an overpair." Also, you may want to repeat a few times to yourself, "it is OK to fold 99 UTG with 7 opponents sitting behind you."

Although you are below-average, you have 30xBB, making you a big stack. Stay patient and wait for a real hand or better opportunity. The flop overbet is not real good poker. Looks like you're going to win a $1200 pot or go broke. Even an average opponent will notice you've virtually committed yourself to that pot (with 1/3rd of your stack in there), so I'm guessing chip leader pushes thinking it'll be called...that's not real good for you. Of course, he could have TPTK, or 88, or the 3, but what a difficult decision you've brought upon yourself.

Once that flop comes down, your hand's value resides in it's abilty to beat (a) a bluff and (b) top-pair. It's a check-and-see-what-develops-behind-you hand if there ever was one.

Congrats though on being able to make bets with your feet. That certainly makes it easier to get loaded faster.

--Z