View Single Post
Old 11-16-2005, 02:47 AM

Default Betting time and other online tells in SNG\'s

Now, most advice I've read about online poker mentions that you shouldn't read too much into online tells such as the time it takes a player to act. This makes sense to me.

However, I'm also usually careful not to give away tells in terms of the time it takes me to bet/check/fold etc... I generally do this by trying to take approximately the same amount of time to make my selection. Usually I know what my action will be before the action gets to me and I try to wait a consistent few seconds most times before choosing my action.

However on occasion I alter my betting/checking time in order to ellicit a specific response from my opponent.

For instance:
Say there are three players left in a 10+1 including myself, and I am in the big blind.
The button calls, the SB folds and I have a junk hand and check.
The flop comes down and I've flopped a gutshot straight draw with little else in the way of possibilities.
I'm a medium stack and the pot is small, so I don't want to bet at this flop, but I would like to see the next card.
In situations similar to this, I may often let my timer run down until I have about 1/4 the time I started with before checking.

Often times I find that even aggressive opponents will check behind me, giving me a free card thinking that I may be going for the check-raise. Many opponents will notice if you suddenly alter your action time in this manner. If your opponent does bet instead of checking, you can just fold, and in this case, nothing is lost.

In cases where I try this and get a free card, which does not complete my draw, often times I find I can bet the turn regardless and the opponent will fold because I've tricked them into thinking that I have a hand anyway.

Now, I'm not saying I make plays like this very often, but I do find that they can be successful when used sparingly in certain circumstances.

Does any one else have success in altering your action time or putting out other tells designed to ellicit certain actions from your opponent? Examples?

Thanks,
Eric
PS: I'm a bit of a newb, granted, but I did a search and couldn't find anything on this topic.