View Single Post
Old 10-13-2005, 04:01 PM

Default Re: Rocky VI Underway

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Everyone hates Rocky V, I didn't think it was any worse than Rocky IV.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're usually dead on, but wow...this is just blasphemy.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Apollo dies, and Rocky flies to Russia sans Adrienne to train for a fight with a 6'5" killer, on Christmas? How is this not better than a movie with an HIV+ guy and a Don King wannabe?

[/ QUOTE ]

It all boils down to which movie has more screen time for James Brown, and that is hands down Rocky IV.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like to stir the pot a little. Maybe saying that Rocky V is no worse than Rocky IV is going too far...but I think Rocky IV is a pretty damn bad movie. Getting past everyone letting an exhibition bout between a huge Russian killer and a retired fighter get to the point where the retired fighter gets killed, we have a heavyweight champ flying to Russia to fight on Christmas for free. BS. The ridiculous montage involving the juxtaposition of their training methods. Since when is Paulie qualified to be in his corner anyway? The Russian crowd starting to root for Rocky at the end, sure, that'd happen. The "If I can change, you can change," speech after he wins. This film is one long piece of cheese. It's an enjoyable piece of cheese in some ways, especially to those of us that are tremendous fans of the first Rocky film(s).

I'll admit, I went too far. Rocky V is definitely worse. It's not even really watchable until the last half-hour, but right when Tommy goes back to the old neighborhood to goad Rocky into fighting, and knocks down Paulie ("You shoulda left him on the street where you found him,"), I start enjoying the movie. And I'm a sucker for any bit with Mickey in it.

Maybe that's why I didn't like Rocky IV as much as some other guys did. No Mickey.

Admittedly, I hadn't thought about the James Brown angle. That is a fantastic point. Any film with James Brown has got to be better than...well...any film without.