View Single Post
Old 12-16-2005, 04:01 PM

Default Rebuy and Stack Size Strategy? --> good M but poor Q

I've tried to search and haven't found anything on this topic, so apologies if this has already been discussed heavily.

When playing in rebuys, the dominant early strategy by the field seems to be build as large of a stack as quickly as possible. People will take coin flips (and worse) without a second thought, knowing they can get more chips with a mouse click.

The result is often I sometimes find mself at the end of the break with what would be a decent stack size in a conventional tournament but dwarfed by a lot of the competition in a rebuy. Case in point, I had 4,500 in chips shortly into the second hour. blinds were still like 75/150, which means my M was roughly 20, but the average was over 9000, for a Q of .5 (table was about the same.. some lower, but most had more chips)

This creates an artificial situation where people were overbetting the pot on a regular basis because their relative stack sizes were so large.

My typical strategy is try to be patient, and wait for a good hand to try to double up, but I'm not sure how best to play in what situation.

your thoughts are greatly appreciated.