View Single Post
Old 08-09-2004, 02:00 PM

Default Re: General strategy help - I am a player slightly in the red

Str8s made by garbage hands and players who are passive when playing their Str8s are problems that you cannot have an effect on. They are gonna do what they want. You have to recognize the potential danger of the board and play according to the strength or potential of your own hand.

Calling the blind preflop and calling a raise after you entered is something that is dependent on the cards you have. Some raises are welcome and hoped for, others are a different story. It is often "right" to call the blind, only to fold to a reraise. Going to far is disaster waiting to happen.

It is GOOD to be able to keep track of the pot odds, implied odds, Outs for your hand, etc. These are traits learned through practice and time. Personaly, I think I have a good Idea of the odds as I play, but miss a few sometimes (I still need work). I think that "reasonable accuracy" is sufficient.

"... Play More Hands. Lots More Hands." -- The key to sucess is not MORE hands. It is Playing QUALITY hands PROPERLY and EFFECTIVELY. For example: Ace Ten suited. It can be played from any position. HOWEVER, from Early position it has only FAIR potential at best. From Middle position it is a little better, but IMO not significant. From Late position, however it is MUCH stronger. It is easier to play EFFECTIVELY from Late position than from Early position.

Read this forum, read some books, practice, post hands that you feel you played questionably. This is a wonderful place to get other peoples opinions. They are VERY helpful. Occasionally a little sarcastic [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img], but if you listen to what they are actually saying and not take it personally, you will learn a lot. They have helped and continue to help me daily.