View Single Post
Old 10-28-2005, 05:28 PM

Default Re: Wrong word?

It really doesn't disprove my statement at all. The key is the "observable expression."

Two entirely different genes can have an "observable" physical feature that appears identical. The same gene can be expressed in wildly different way. What this means, for instance, is that a broad flat nose may be a variagated expression of the exact same gene as a long pointy nose. The observable differences, in-and-of-themselves, don't indicate variation on the genetic level.

And this is the problem, and why no, or no not-otherwise motivated, biologists will talk about race. It has nothing to with pc terms, it has everything to do with quantifiability.

The the oft-cited (but true!) dictum, within self-identified racial groups (since there is no universal agreed upon alternative) there is as great/greater genetic variation as between them. As in, me and some Kenyan may be a lot closer than me and scalf, on the genetic level, and I'm quite alright with that.

I'm not feeling particularly articulate today, but if you are actually interested in anything I'm sort-of saying, I can try and present my arguments more clearly at some later point. If you are simply looking for inconsistencies in my statements, I concede their omnipresence.