View Single Post
Old 11-15-2005, 10:46 AM

Default Re: how good is you omaha?

[ QUOTE ]
he seems insanely loose from almost all positions. i have no doubt that he is a great player and that he is playing very deep money but it still is much looser than my regular game in regards to 2 and 3 gappers that are very small in early position and a lot of other situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

He says at a couple different points in the book that he plays rather loosely, mostly out of boredom, because he sees so few hands per session in comparison to online play.

[ QUOTE ]
while he claims that his book is very good for learning online PLO i think it is not very well suited to a short stacked game like any big bet online game (assuming a 100bb buyin)

[/ QUOTE ]

Some of the concepts are general and will work in a lot of games, but otherwise I agree with you. The very, very, very deep stacked, aggressive game he describes is tough to emulate.

[ QUOTE ]
anyways, i dont have the experience with PLO i have in other games (although i enjoy it quite a bit) so its difficult for me to know for sure if my impressions of the book are correct (outside of the stack size and position comments which i am almost certain is neccessary info, at least how i play the game). is he too loose, or am i too tight, or is the answer just that you can play this loose, esp up front, when your money is very very deep. it seems like you would get into a lot of tough situations with 2476 and the like up front with deep money.

[/ QUOTE ]

He is loose, but more importantly, he knows his opponents very, very well. He has been playing with the same people for years and years. If he played simple ABC poker, he likely would have gone bankrupt a long time ago.

In a couple of the hands, the plays he makes are just plain bad against an unknown opponent. Mr. Reuben makes it sound as if his chosen tact was obvious though and goes on to explain how he knew this particular foe was capable of laying down his hand. He then gives poor marks to the "proper" play.

All in all, IMO the book has some interesting concepts, but trying to emulate his play in short money small-mid limit online games is probably asking for trouble.