View Single Post
Old 09-30-2004, 03:32 PM

Default Re: Question for those with <19.5 VP$IP

[ QUOTE ]
If Phil Hellmuth plays &gt;30% VP$IP, would you tell him he's too loose? I'm guessing you wouldn't, because you know of Phil and probably think he's a fastastic poker player with absolutely phenomenal hand-reading skills (whatever else you think of him.) His results speak to this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, bad example. Have you read Hellmuth's book? I'd be very hesitant to say that Hellmuth is a fantastic limit holdem cash game player.

[ QUOTE ]
About the only place I think I would be playing too tight is on the button or in the cutoff, where I sometimes shy away from hands like QJo and K9s and their ilk. I also very rarely play against a non-steal raiser.

[/ QUOTE ]

QJo and K9s are very playable from LP in unraised pots. These are the type of hands that astroglide assumed you were folding incorrectly. I agree. It's nothing personal, just advice from winning players.

[ QUOTE ]
Anyhoo, unless you know the player, it's hard to know whether they are playing correctly preflop based solely on their VP$IP numbers, unless it is clearly too high or too low. I don't think ~14% VP$IP is too low. Maybe when I get better post flop I will loosen up a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's true that those marginal hands I just mentioned are more profitable for the better postflop player. But so is every hand. Pocket aces are more profitable for better postflop players because they know how to extract the most from them, and fold when they should. My point is, if your a winning player with 14% VPIP, then you could be more of a winner with 16-17%.