View Single Post
Old 12-02-2005, 08:05 PM

Default Re: 27TD: tourney video

[ QUOTE ]
I watched the compressed version. That was fun to watch and I'm happy (for my sake) that I would have made the same play as you about 98% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I often make some screwy plays in these just to see how they go. I wouldn't assume I'm playing well here, though most of the questionable decisions this time were possibly-too-tight first round folds, which didn't make the compressed version.

[ QUOTE ]

1. I remember you making a value bet after the final draw with an 8-7. Is this standard for you or dependent upon opponent? Do you do this against an unknown?

[/ QUOTE ]

Previous action's pretty important, but at B2B I'm almost always value-betting any 8. I'm starting to slow down on this, because the players there have improved significantly in the last month or so, but there are still plenty who thing drawing to nines is a good idea. I'll value bet 875s most of the time, but I'm not sure I can explain how I decide when not to.

[ QUOTE ]

2. I think I saw you play a 87wwx (2 wheel cards and one trash card) before the first draw differently. If my memory serves me (too lazy to look back at the video), one time you tossed the eight and drew 2 and the other time you kept the eight and drew 1. If so, why? I typically don't like to draw at a rough eight on the first draw and my standard choice here would be to draw 2. Is there some factor (position, opponents, other?) that changes how you play the first draw with this type of hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just about everything matters. Number of players is probably the biggest, as I'm much more willing to draw at 8s headsup. Tournament position is huge, as well, though: my chip stack, opponents' chip stacks, how likely I am to get free cards or folds depending on what I draw are all hugely important. Against two or more players with sizable stacks, I'd rather draw to a hand with better implied odds; against one player or short stacks I'd rather have a better chance to make a hand.

One nice thing about 87w2 is that if you do hit and get played back at you can always draw 1 again. I don't think there's any question with a hand like 8743, you go for the 8 and be prepard to fold if the action indicates.