Thread: River Dilemma
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2003, 04:07 PM

Default Results

Because of the fairly large stacks I thought he could have called my raise with many speculative hands. A set, two pair, a pair with a gutshot, or even the flopped straight all seemed possible.

On the river, I thought for a while and strongly considered making a small value bet, as I felt there was a good chance my hand was best given his check on the turn. I decided not to when I couldn't put him on a hand consistent with the action that did not contain a jack. Thankfully, he checked behind on the river and my hand was of course good. He said he had the improbable KQ, which I believed, so I would likely have taken his entire stack if not for the ace on the turn.

Implied odds notwithstanding, I think his preflop call was abysmal if he had KQo; less so with KQs. I lowered his rating a few notches after this one.

I suppose this is closely related to another current thread, but: in his situation, assuming my most likely hand is a big pair or AK, with what hands would you call a $30 raise in position, with stacks of around $750? (And limpers with somewhat smaller stacks who of course may or may not play.) Any pair? Suited/offsuit connectors? If so, how scraggly and gapped?