View Single Post
Old 04-28-2005, 08:14 AM

Default Re: Sexton Joins the \"Reraise\" Club

[ QUOTE ]
You've got it backwards. To utilize something is to use it for an unintended purpose. So, for example, you might use an umbrella when it's raining...but if you don't have one lying around, you might have to utilize a newspaper to keep yourself dry.

Your question about word choice is hard. The answer depends in large part on the interaction between your goals and your audience. If your goal is to articulate a difficult, original concept to a conference hall full of Ph.D.s, you should worry more about precision than about accessibility. If you're trying to sell your social security scam to a warehouse full of factory workers, and the last thing you want to do is to look like the Ivy-educated egghead that you are, you probably want to go light on the polysyllabic Latinate monstrosities. If you're trying to get a girl to sleep with you....well....actually, do you have any advice about that one?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for the very reasonable, informative, and civil response.

I just learned something here at 2+2 that did not involve EV. Excellent.

[ QUOTE ]
If you're trying to get a girl to sleep with you....well....actually, do you have any advice about that one?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but I can assure you, any enlightenment on the use of this secret language would be far more valuable than understanding the difference between use and utilize.

In fact, I'd be happy to go back to clicking and whistling if only these secrets would be revealed.