Thread: 89s
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2005, 11:17 AM

Default Re: 89s

Hey crunchy...this one had me thinking quite a bit.

On the flop, I think the check is okay. Five ways, it's unlikely to get checked through, so you're not often going to be giving free cards to overs. But if the bet comes from late position, you can then raise and protect your hand a little bit. Since the bet came as early as it did, though, just calling is fine.

The turn is where I have questions. I'm not too worried that the jack has put you behind in the hand, but at this point you're probably committed to showing down, as long as it only costs you at most a bet on each street. Why not try to steal the pot from a better 8?

How to do it is the question. A check-raise may be more convincing than a bet, but it also could get expensive.

I like betting out, although it may be an unpopular line. If you're raised, you can dump it (although I suppose the fact that UTG+1 posted makes it a little more likely that you have some hidden outs against a goofy hand like 62), but it just may get a better 8 to fold.

If you're called, hmmm. I guess I still need to think about that. So maybe this plan kind of sucks after all. I should probably just not post this, but maybe it will garner some discussion.

-McGee