View Single Post
Old 05-03-2005, 03:56 PM

Default Re: An Energy Tsunami Ahead?

Of course we won't run out, because fields can only be pumped up to a finite rate. And yes, rising prices will curb the demand for oil. This does not change the fact that prices need to rise well above $50/bbl to spur serious innovation/adoption of new technologies.

On the hydrogen car front, any thoughts on where to get the hydrogen? I'm sure you're aware that hydrogen generation requires serious energy input. Most likely this energy has to come from the grid. This means that we need more power plants. Forget the puny contribution from windfarms, tidal, solar (unless there is a tech breakthrough there). It's either going to be environment-ripping coal/oil, or PR-unfriendly nuclear.

Getting a bit off topic, but as I look around my office, I marvel at the quantity of stuff that started out as fossil fuel - the case of my laptop, the wall of CD's (and CD cases), the fabric of the carpet, my white board, upholsery...practically everything that isn't metal or wood. Point being that getting off the ff wagon isn't as easy as hydrogen cars...