View Single Post
Old 11-02-2005, 12:05 PM

Default Re: WSOP has become a joke.

[ QUOTE ]

You are not getting what I am saying. Of course over an extended period of time skill wins out. The wsop is just one tournament. Just one. Hence luck is about 90% of it now. Obviously if you play that lady over and over in the long run you will crush her. I am just saying that this ONE tournament has become a joke. <font color="red">And idiots like that big oaf will think they are good at poker because they got far in one single tournament.</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

I think everyone overrated the amount of skill involved in the old WSOP main events. One could argue that it takes more skill now than it used to, because of the larger fields, aggressive players and sheer unpredictibility of play.
The counter-argument would be that there is less play available now. You have to reduce your moves and hands more to try to get larger edges before gambling.

Dan H and Doyle and others may be the only ones who can comment on this accurately, since they (and others like them) have played in both environments.

<font color="red"> As for your sentiment in the last sentence, I completely agree that people take their results way too seriously.</font>