View Single Post
Old 05-22-2005, 03:36 AM

Default Re: Regarding Gay Marriage

[ QUOTE ]
Color me unimpressed by your "research". You found one webpage authored by an gay activist, who provides almost no background material.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly you didn't read it too closely. I provided 2 sources and outright claimed that I was multisourcing.

That's two more sources then I've ever seen by someone who says its always been between a man and a woman.

[ QUOTE ]
As for your curveball on the Catholic church, try again. Im not sure where you pulled that gem from but Im guessing at some point it started with a book called Same-Sex Unions in Premodern Europe, by John Boswell. Here is a link that addresses this book and its claims.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, that would be a THIRD source. But, you'll note that it says its not conclusive. It mentions the debate about it. But it is up for debate.

Just for fun, here's more:
From NPR "But some historians have found references to gay marriage dating back to classical times. NPR's Margot Adler reports."

From another cite (that cites a law case where I assume the history was recorded)
"The social acceptance of same-gender relationships did not gain widespread condemnation until the 13th century, when religious orders stepped in and declared them immoral (Dorrell & Legal Marriage Court Cases, 1994,1996)."

Here's a writing by a woman who observed a Christian lesbian marriage ceremony in a church-
"This is a subject about which I have the good fortune to speak not merely as a scholar or an observer, but as a participant. Nine years ago I was joined in devout sisterhood to another woman, apparently in just such a ceremony as Boswell claims to elucidate in his book. The ceremony took place during a journey to some of the Syrian Christian communities of Turkey and the Middle East, and the other member of this same-sex union was my colleague Professor Susan Ashbrook Harvey of Brown University." (Just so you know that this isn't some crazy gay activist, this is a professor who thought Boswell's book was unreliable.)

And just to show how the idea of marriage has changed, this is from CHRISTIANITY TODAY:
"Yet, as usual in America's myopic debates, not many on either side realize that the struggle over defining marriage has been going on for centuries already.

For example, during the early church period, some religious leaders denounced marriage altogether, while others advocated polygamy. And during the Reformation, Henry VIII infamously flouted the explicit teaching the Roman Catholic Church to seek a divorce." Marriage is holy? Not according to the early leaders of the church.

There was some other interesting but terrible stuff about the history of marriage but its too late to keep going on.

I think its pretty easy to see that the notion that marriage has always been just between a man and a woman is suspect at best.