View Single Post
Old 12-21-2005, 03:32 PM

Default Re: Walking the Picket Line

[ QUOTE ]
Let's apply the media-political logic to our own lives. If you and I made an agreement that I'd work for you for $10, then I would work if I wanted the $10. What would happen if you told me that we had to renegotiate the terms of the agreement every 2 years and I would have to be paid less every week for the same job? $8, $6, $3. Same job, maybe even more work, but unable to stop working for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you knew the contract was for a fixed period of time going in, what's the problem? Because a guy paid you $10 a year ago, he has to continue to pay you $10 next year?

If there was no contract, there's still no problem. I hire a guy to mow my yard. After about a year, I decide I want to mow it myself, both to save some money and because I want some exercise (not that my reasons really matter). Should I be compelled to continue paying this guy $40/week for something I no longer want?

[ QUOTE ]
That's why the union is striking. They want to do a good job, but the government keeps paying them less and less.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, great. If you don't like the terms, don't work. Sounds good to me.

The state certainly set themselves up for this sort of thing by relying on a monopoly, but don't act like anyone has some sort of *right* to a job at any desired wage.

[ QUOTE ]
How would you describe it? I think you would be the master and I would be the slave.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you want the state to be the slave of labor, and be compelled to pay whatever wage they demand.