View Single Post
Old 12-20-2005, 05:26 PM

Default Neteller account hacked (xpost)

Sorry if this is not suitable for oot, but I want to warn as many 2p2ers as possible. I'm also kind of shaken up right now at the prospects of what could have happened so, please, bear with me:

Last week I hadn't used neteller for a few days. On friday evening I attempted to log in and it said my account had been closed due to security reasons.

I give them a call today and start talking to security personel. They ask me about the last transaction I can remember. I tell them and they ask if I remember depositing $1000 with a credit card last Wed. I tell them no. They ask me for the last 4 digits of my CC. It doesn't match.

They explain that most likely my account was hacked using a virus that tracked my keystrokes. The credit card used to deposit was stolen but they were not able to make any merchant purchases before the account was frozen.

The security guy explains that most likely it was a variation of a virus called MYTOB. Now, keep in mind, I have a 2 week old laptop with all the current virus-stuff, firewlls, etc.

I am honestly pretty freaked right now. I did not think this could happen so easily. I'm at a loss for words. I do not want to open up another neteller. If anyone has any info about the virus or something like this, please give me as much info as possible, I will update when my head is more clear.