Thread: Set of aces
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2005, 11:37 PM

Default Re: Set of aces

[ QUOTE ]
the one thing that makes me want to not cap this river is that you don't hold the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and given the action BB holding a Ax [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] flush needs to be considered as a fairly likely holding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I think that if we are going to raise the river, we probably should cap it.

Here's why:

Given the amount of action villain has given us on the turn and the pre-flop action, we basically have to decide this:

Villain either has a big A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (or A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]) hand or he does not.

So, if I were playing this hand, I'd basically decide whether I thought my opponent would ever get that aggressive on the early streets with a hand that wasn't a big suited [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A. For many opponents, the answer is simply "no." In which case, I don't think we should even raise the river. If it's "yes," the river actually doesn't change that much anyway and so I'm probably going to cap it.

My basic point is that if I think my opponent is aggro. enough to go crazy in this hand without a huge hand (I don't think undersets are that likely, so basically we're talking about some kind of AK/AQ hand, maybe suited in hearts or not), and hence I decide I want to raise the river, the fact that he three-bets the river is not going to do much to discourage me from capping (particularly online where I'm not risking a five-bet).