View Single Post
Old 10-12-2005, 06:04 PM

Default Re: If There Is No God

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="red"> The more you care about the people the greater lengths you will go to.
</font>

We may be talking about the same thing, but I'm not sure.

I'm thinking more of strangers. While I don't wish bad upon them, I can't say that I'm much concerned with whether or not they're happy. However, I would have very strong emotions if I knew a stranger were suffering. This I believe, is pity or emphathy for their situation.

It's only when you get to people I love or care about that I'm concerned with their happiness. But this is a bit self-serving..

As I stated to DS, I believe all motivation stems from the basic need to gain pleasure or avoid pain. I take pleasure in seeing my children, girlfriend, and those I love be in a state of happiness.

Anyway, I realize this makes me seem kinda cold. But I'm just trying to be very candid and self-evaluating.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like the same thing. If evolved, it makes sense that morality is 'designed' for families/smallish communities. It makes sense that the more remote the person, the weaker the moral feeling.

I dont see why it should sound cold. Nothing cold about caring most for those closest to us. As long as we don't expect others not to also care most for those closest to them.

chez