View Single Post
Old 09-05-2005, 11:56 PM

Default Re: Making a living at 1/2 NL?

I really doubt you are going to kill a 1/2 for 1k to 2k a week. There is just not enough money on the table for the number of hours/hands you are going to get in versus the variance you are going to get at this low limit.

If you can find a larger buy-in cap like S13 has, then yes you have a chance.

A few things to keep in mind...

You are going to have a much larger range of skill sitting with you live than online. Not many 5/10, 10/20 players coming down to 0.25/0.50, but there are quite a few 40/80+ LHE and higher NLHE players passing thru your 1/2 game, if for no other reason than there is a board for their game of choice.

Also the bad players are going to be REALLY bad! Afterall if you are going to play online, you have to download and install software, find someway to deposit money, etc, etc. It does not take anything for someone to say "hey honey you keep playing the slots I am going to play some of this Texas Hold'em poker everyone is talking about!" Remember you can not bluff a fish...

You are going to be playing a lot fewer hands per hour, a lot fewer! NL games move slow, top that with about a max of 40 hands per hour, you will be lucky to 20-30 at your table. This not only has a effect on your hourly win rate, but tends to beat the snoot out of disipline. Very easy to get bored playing live NL.

You are going to have to deal with things live that you would never have to deal with online... Like who has the winning hand. Pissed off drunks that can reach out and touch you. Dealers and floor that do not know the rules, or refuse to enforce them. Etc, etc.

Now that I have painted a pretty negitive picture...

Playing live is a blast and can be very profitable. Game selction is critical! Find the table without the regulars, with the drunks and newbies. Try to find a higher cap than the typical 1/2 game. Get there on the weekends and give it try, see where you come out and look at it again.