Thread: Euro vs USD
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2005, 07:48 AM

Default Re: Euro vs USD

Hi Justin,

I think that most of the responses you received to your question miss the key point which is this: What are your
needs or requirements for euros?

Do you plan on playing poker in Europe on a regular basis (for example, once or twice a year)? If so, I think you
would be well advised to keep an interest bearing account in
euros with one of the major european banks, such as DeutchBank. How much depends on what your perceived needs
are. But if you plan on playing in Europe at all, then
it will become very expensive for you to continually convert
dollars to euros and then back again....the transaction costs are just too prohibitive for all but the occasional tourist.

I got the feeling after one of our conversations in Monte Carlo, however, that you were eager to return to the States
and were no big fan of Europe. If thats the case, and you do not plan on competing in Europe on a regular basis, then you would be wise to convert the entire holdings to dollars immediately and not worry yourself about future exchange rate movements.

You are a professional gambler. You should speculate in areas where you have some expertise (poker) and avoid those
where you have absolutely no expertise (currency markets).

Bottom line: make your decision based on your expected future needs for euros. If those needs are 0, then convert now.

Suerte,
Jonathan