View Single Post
Old 10-28-2005, 04:15 PM

Default Re: The importance of implied odds in NL HE.

[ QUOTE ]

Example, even if I KNOW you have AA and I have say 98s and I know you always push BIG on the flop with such a hand, I may be able to call a decent sized preflop bet, if we both have deep stacks, because I'm risking a little for the opportunity to win your whole stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

mmmm. if I KNOW you have AA then 89s is not the hand to try and get lucky with, you are looking at a 1-50 shot to make 2 pair/set or full house and a 1-120 shot to flop a flush, not sure about the straight, but it's probally around 1-70 to flop it, if you catch a flush draw or a straight draw, he is not going to give you odds to draw to it. therefore you don't have implied odds in this situation.

To further expand on your logic, calling ith 98s vs AA is no different than calling with 72s vs AA except you can't make a straight with both cards which is hardly of any value if you're only going to be able to hit it on the flop before he bets you off.

a pocket pair is really the only hand you would face aces with, you're a 1 in 8 shot to crush his hand.