View Single Post
Old 10-17-2005, 09:33 PM

Default Kings not strong in loose Stud/8 games

I know it is kind of standard to play a pair of kings (when you get them on third street)aggressively in Stud/8. I have found that in loose low-mid limit games, a pair of king is not that strong.

In many online tournaments, SNGs, and supersatellites, Party 2/4 and below, and the lower limit of available live games, there are frequently 3-6 players on third street.

Now some of them have may have hands the books say are unplayable, and the kings are probably the best hand. However, they don't play well multiway, where you are looking for at best half the pot. It is pretty difficult to win high if you don't improve. Plus people usually figure what you have and it is often fairly obvious when you make trips, kings up, or have straight/flush possibilities. However, it may be harder to read your opponents' hands. If there is much action and I don't improve, I generally fold, often on fourth street.

In loose games, I usually want to play low hands. If it gets folded around, I will raise on third street, but I usually limp or call a raise (if it is not made by an ace).