View Single Post
Old 02-10-2005, 09:18 PM

Default Re: Agree with Il Mostro

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree with you on this one MMMMMM. I say track the little rugrats 24/7. It might be a beginning to the end of crime, or at the very least unsolved crimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed it very likely would solve and prevent some crimes. It is hard to imagine that it would not do at least some good in that vein.

But what about when and if those in government become the criminals? Power tends to corrupt and absolute power even more so.

Frankly, I'm less scared of crime than of a potentially Orwellian future where the government can do anything it wants to anybody. Yes I know it seems like a longshot at this point but political landscapes have a way of changing over time.

So you may be more concerned about crime whereas I am not discontent to take my chances against crime. At least versus criminals you are permitted to fight back (for the present, anyway;-).

As government powers are expanded, the more attractive government work becomes to those seeking power. I just don't trust most humans to not exploit power over others once they achieve it. That said, to some degree it is necessary to repose a modicum of trust in public and elected officials. But I wouldn't want them having complete real-time data and control over every citizen, either.

Of course, RFID chips and schoolkids is a long ways from an Orwellian future, as long as it stops at that or thereabouts. I don't trust it to stop there, though. I don't trust politicians and I don't trust many in law enforcement. If they have more power I find it hard to imagine they would not become more abusive with it.

As for preventing the little rugrats from causing trouble in our schools, perhaps teachers should again be permitted to paddle trouble-making students;-) I'll bet that would be more effective in curbing their bad behaviors than would any sort of monitoring device anyway.