View Single Post
Old 10-02-2005, 01:15 PM

Default Schneids Post on Taking Shots

This was posted by Schnieds in the Internet Forum. It's an excellent post with regard to considerations for taking shots at bigger games...

"Yes Bob, I agree that $150,000 is a good bankroll amount for $100/200. However, I think that someone could play in $100/200 and take shots in it with $75,000 or even a little less in their roll.

The last few weeks, I have been playing some $300/600 online and I don't have a $500,000 roll for it (which is what I'd like to have to begin playing it as my "regular" game), but I'm comfortable taking calculated shots in hopes of hitting some big scores to build that roll quicker, since the difference between $50/100 and $100/200 earns and $300/600 earns is phenomenal enough to make the risk worthwhile (while knowing I can afford to risk enough BBs in 300/600 to give these 'shots' a legit shot and in fact make it more than just flipping coins with a 51-49 type edge for thousands at a time).

So yeah. In higher games I think it mainly comes down to having enough to at least let yourself feel comfortable, having losses not take you out of what you'd consider your 'normal' game, and then being able to handle the inherit swings which come along with it.

I'll admit, I lost $14,000 this afternoon playing in 300/600 in like an hour and it still stung a little bit (but I'm guessing the difference between me and the OP is that this loss and a few more like it isn't going to take me out of a $100/200 game, where as the OP likely lost a large hunk of his playing roll in the 75/150 session). I know it's only like 25BBs but that doesn't matter. It's just something to get over with, and the more it happens the less it stings and the more comfortable you get with it.

I really hope this post doesn't rub anyone the wrong way and isn't taken to be read as a BK style gloat post, since I'm really just trying to provide some honest facts. "