View Single Post
Old 01-01-2005, 03:02 PM

Default Re: Hand To Flame About

[ QUOTE ]
Looks pretty standard to me, what part did you predict would be flamed?

[/ QUOTE ]
There was a hand recently from Fianchetto where he had raised AKo from the SB against many limpers. A lot of people didn't like it. They said that you "make it correct for them to call on the flop with middle pair or a gutshot" and thus shouldn't raise. I used to hear that argument on this board years ago and I can't believe it hasn't died yet. It is as mindboggling devoid of logic as "I'm moving up to the high limit games where people play correctly because that's the only place you can win; it's impossible to win in the low limit games because everyone plays any two cards so your good hands always get sucked out on". But I thought someone would attack the raise, especially because I had mentioned that "the field" tends to be tenacious in large multiway pots.

Still, raising AJo from the BB is admittedly a much closer decision than raising AKo out of the SB. But against people who want to limp with T3o, my hand is too good not to raise here. Letting people see the flop cheap with their trash hands is what "makes their play correct" while punishing their implied odds with a raise is what makes them incorrect, not the other way around.

Also, I thought some people would dislike the check-call on the flop. Recently, analyzing all hands in terms of "cleaning up outs" has become very fashionable, even if there are other considersations at play.