View Single Post
Old 10-08-2005, 04:43 PM

Default Re: A thought on the big moose post.

i have always been close to hunting b/c of my father, so i was either going to love it or hate it. my dad has traveled to africa 3 times and killed a lion, leopard and cape buffalo and is going back in november to tajikistan to kill a rare ram. he has been to alaska numerous times and killed bears, moose, elk, caribou, and this doesn't even crack the surface on the big game that he has hunted and killed.

with him he started like every hunter killing his first dove, or 8 point...something small. then he graduated to driving down to south and west texas ranches killing big white tail (some boon & crockett). then after two decades it was as if he had hunted everything and he moved on to animals in other countries such as africa and spain. i have always thought this was odd, why would someone spend so much money and time on this?

the answer is power. in our life we want power and control over something and hunting is exactly that. now my dad is strange and if you ask any of my friends [censored] crazy cause he adds an element of danger when he hunts by climbing mountains and hunting in the most extreme conditions. i hate hunting, i think its stupid and a waste of time but thats just my opinion, if i thought about it the things in my life that i really care about come down to control and having power over someone too (baseball, p**er etc).

this has at least been my theory for a few years since i have always thought my dad was crazy when it came to hunting and i wanted to at least put an answer to it.