Thread: Leak Finding2
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2005, 10:50 PM

Default Re: Leak Finding2

Beavis - I don't see much here. You could possibly raise before the flop, but you don't lose much, in general, by not raising from the Button with ace-deuce. When you win, you'll get a bit more from the first betting round - but you won't generally get as much from later betting rounds. And when you lose, the pre-flop raise obviously will have cost you twice as much. A shrewd opponent will put you likely on ace-deuce when you raise and then knowing you raise from the buttong with ace-deuce, will suspect you don't have ace-deuce on all the future hands when you limp from the button. (Of course there are ways around this dilemma). But at any rate, I don't fault you for not raising here.

On the second betting round, your ace is counterfeited and you have the 2nd nut low draw with four outs to a wheel, plus a back-door straight draw that is worth maybe a fourth of one full out. The non-heart treys are your three full outs here, plus you have one half-pot out to the nut low, plus twelve half-pot outs for the second nut low. In all, your prospects don't amount to much - but you're getting 10 to 1 pot odds for your call, plus implied pot odds. There are those who will scream that you shouldn't draw to 2nd nut low, but you're getting awfully good odds to see one more card. Hard to resist, and not terrible to call the close ones - and, IMHO, this is a close one. Folding would be O.K. too.

Then the turn is sour. Now you're last to act and getting 7.5 to 1 pot odds plus implied pot odds - and you have the same skimpy outs. It's a close decision, more leaning towards folding than on the previous betting round when you were getting better odds. But I don't think calling is horrid.

Would the outcome have been different if you jammed before the flop? Hard to say. Probably not. TX_Wrangler called the pre-flop raise from the big blind with pure trash. And daleprescott, evidently the button, is not going away with A255, even though non-suited.

I don't think you did much wrong here. Nothing I see that is glaringly wrong anyhow. This hand was just one of those things. Happens a lot in Omaha-8. You have a decent starting hand and then it goes pfft.

Just my opinion. From now on, I won't respond unless I happen to read your post and see where you clearly could have played better.

Buzz