View Single Post
Old 12-24-2005, 04:12 PM

Default Re: I don\'t have to bluff anymore.

I would have folded to the continuation bet on the flop. Once you tried to snap off his continuation bet and catch a set on the turn, I think your stuck going to the felt with your set. You obviously suspected he had AK or AQ or even TT or 99 when you made the raise over his cb. Once he calls the flop raise, he is either stubbornly hanging on to upaired over cards or he has a big pair or he has a draw like KQ. Your big bet on the turn followed by a check-raise all in from villain probably eliminates two over cards, unless they are both clubs (like Kc Qc), but otherwise I think you're looking at Ac Jc, AA, KK, QQ or JJ. So, since you are only behind JJ, I think you have to call unless you've seen him make strong continuatino bets on flops in the past after raising preflop. If he habitually makes pot-sized continuation bets, but all of a sudden makes a weak cb here, you might suspect something fishy is going on and fear a set jacks. But even so, how can you check behind on that turn with a set? I think you have to bet, and then call the check-raise. It's just bad luck if he has the jacks.

In general, however, without a strong read that villain is raising with junk a lot, then I think "No set, no bet" is a milk toast line that would have been good here, I think.