View Single Post
Old 12-11-2005, 11:06 PM

Default Re: Best way to tip waitresses to get better service?

I think the main thing is to talk to her, and tip her slightly better than average. The talk is to help her remember you, and both the tips and the talk let her know you appreciate her and view her as a fellow human and not a servant (this actually works with non-tipped service people too). I think the worst thing you can do is act like you're a big shot poker player and can't divert yourself from the game more than to drop a chip on her tray, no matter how big the chip is.

Beyond that, anything you can do to make her job easier will help you. If you're going to drink a lot and/or fast, tell her on her first trip. (Believe it or not, the waitresses have to deal with some people who actually think they come too often and get mad, like they're pushing drinks on them.) If you're drinking the same thing all the time just tell her to bring one every trip instead of taking an order first, if the timing is right for that.

Where the standard tip is $1, I prefer to tip a steady $2 every time instead of 5-1-1-1-5-1-1-1-etc. That looks like a gimmick to me, like you're trying to make it appear you're tipping more than you really are.