View Single Post
Old 12-08-2005, 03:40 AM

Default Re: Best Video Game 1988-1994 Round 2

[ QUOTE ]
doom didnt invent [censored]. get your facts straight. however, I believe that Mario Kart might have been the first kart game (certainly the first popular console one).

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I voted for TIE Fighter. I agree that Monkey Island was a classic, but I'm not as much of an adventure gamer. TIE Fighter was an awesome game, though. Probably my #3 all time PC game, behind Half-Life at #2 and X-Com at #1. I think that Doom vs. Mario Kart is not a clear match, either. Doom wasn't the inventor of the genre (it's already been nitted that the honor belongs to Wolfenstein 3D), but it was the reason why it exploded. Mario Kart, though, is one of the best games ever to play against your friends while sitting around on the couch. They're two different niches at which each one excelled.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, well if you want to be pedantic about which game invented the FPS genre, it wasn't Wolf 3D either. It was Catacomb 3D...oh wait, that wasn't the first either, it was Hovertank 3D, etc etc.

Fact remains that DOOM's advances and gameplay brought on a new genre. Wolf didn't spawn any clones, but DOOM did.

If you want to argue the semantics of "invented", fine, but you can't deny that DOOM had an enormous impact...much greater than Super Mario Kart.