View Single Post
Old 06-25-2005, 03:35 AM

Default Re: The Non-Stop Smell of Wildfires

We had some in Guam where I spent a lot of my growing up years. Our idiot neighbors actually set them on purpose because they were too lazy to beat back the sawgrass. They also cooked and generally made fires outside a lot and that would sometimes get out of control too. They were complete idiots. A few times the fire got pretty close to our house and my family and I had to water down around the house, on the roof, etc. Stuff grows so fast in the real hot tropics that there's always stuff to burn around, and always encroaching. It was a little scary once or twice.

A lot of people in California have been exposed to a lot of wildfire worries. There are laws about how close you can let trees get to your house, etc. It can be pretty scary for them every single year, during the dry season. I've always lived in the city here in L.A., so it's never really been a concern of mine, though I've had fire in pretty close apartment buildings once or twice. But fires are a real threat to some parts of L.A.