View Single Post
Old 12-28-2005, 08:38 PM

Default Re: Building a bankroll

A few suggestions:

1) Play hours, not results. Play your selected game for a set time, only staying longer if you are winning and you are a big favorite in the game. If time runs out and you are losing, there's always tomorrow. When deciding to stay longer, still base your decision on time, such as one more hour, rather than "when I win $20 more." Also, cash out at a constant interval, like weekly or biweekly. This advice is based on Daniel Negreanu's Cardplayer article. In the long run, you'll be able to objectively determine how successful you are as a poker player.

2) When you lose three consecutive sessions, move down a limit. When you win three consecutive sessions, move up a limit, provided your bankroll is large enough for that limit. I play $1/$2 NLHE live and I was playing $100 NLHE online until I had a few losses, putting a dent in my confidence. I stepped down to $50 NL, booked a few wins, and now my confidence is up and most of my losses are replenished. I was able to win back what I lost while risking less, and at the same time allowing myself to regain the confidence I needed to compete at the higher limit. This idea came from an article by Kristi Gazes on FullTilt.

3) Play within your means. Poker isn't a race, so don't be in any rush to build a massive bankroll and buy a mansion. Poker is gambling, so don't play with money you can't lose. You can't control the cards, and luck does play a factor in the game. With a decent bankroll, and some skill to boot, you should be able to withstand any downswings caused by poor luck and come out a winner in the long run.

4) Don't take shots at higher limits when your bankroll can't withstand it; shots aren't for serious players. While this is related to tip #3, it is somewhat different because some players feel it is OK to take 25% of their bankroll and take one gamble at a higher limit. There's really no positive reasons to do something like that. A serious player would never do it because he/she wouldn't rely on a lucky night at a big limit. Like TOP says, good players are at war with luck, so be a good player and don't take shots.

Hope some of this helps.