View Single Post
Old 10-25-2005, 10:20 AM

Default Re: BYOB: A Necessity?

I have been holding a regular home game for a year now, with three tables at a maximum, twice a month on a Saturday night.

I INSIST that nobody gives me money, for ANYTHING ...

... especially alcohol.

You are liable on numerous legal fronts, aside from the gambling aspect. Your greatest vulnerability in running no-rake, no-fee home games, is the food and beverage angle, and tipping.

First and foremost, along with carrying the heaviest penalties, is the fact that you could be charged with illegal distribution, without a liquor license.

Here is where even taking a 'hospitality tip' from the winner can get you in trouble.

Strict enforcement of underage drinking, AND gambling laws, is a no-brainer.

Indeed, we got to fifty guys one night, and I knew less than 75% of them. When I saw people I did not know huddling out on my front porch, I cancelled the game.

My worst fear, is even the slightest hint of impropriety, from a fudiciary standpoint. After all, people get SERIOUS, even in home games, when playing for money.

I insure that chips are locked down, and personalized ... cards are wrapped, new, different types each time ... and that anyone coming that is not known to me, is known to someone I know and trust.

I sincerely WISH the New Jersey state laws were different, and could be changes as relates to poker, not necessarily gambling, but poker, as might be defined by a "Card Room" situation. I'd love to run tournaments with a fee structure. I own a house that is not currently being rented that I'd love to transform into the perfect Home Game Home.

But alas, such is NOT at ALL likely.

Indeed and unfortunately, I fear that poker will only become more of a target for politicians seeking to make a prosecutorial name for themselves, seizing upon 'teen-gambling' as a cause, given the intensified number of teenages playing poker for real money.

Discretion remains the better part of valor here, when it comes to home games. I strongly suggest that any home games be run with a risk aversion mentality, and a strict BYO everything policy, along with a NO tipping policy as well.

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]