View Single Post
Old 08-28-2005, 09:27 AM

Default Re: $10-$20 live game, pocket Kings in the BB and your opponent is ... ME

In my gear-shifting, sometimes I do revert back to being too passive (LESS than a year ago, before I really REALLY started studying the 2+2 books, I was a winning 1bb/hour player ... but really weak-tight).

Now some have accused me of being too loose (while many online guys are playing 15% of their hands ... even 17% of their hands ... I'm averaging in the low-20's).

As some more backstory, as a few people wanted to know who this person is, it's not someone that, to my knowledge, posts on 2+2, but rather one of the majority of the 2+2 community: the lurker.

At Foxwoods, there are a few of the old-timers that you can lay this down as this raise only means a flush -- but those same guys aren't 4-betting the flop.

I brought this up as I do read people talking about making those laydowns when you know your beat. Barry wrote about this in CardPlayer this month about costly errors.

But I keep going back to the advice that I'm paraphrasing from SSH: throwing out an additional big bet is bad ... but losing a big pot due to not putting out that bet is catastrophic.

I don't think you can make this fold against ANYONE who is capable of making a bluff ... and I've written about bluff hands.

I think this is a horrendous fold that I don't think anyone should make. And I think many people DO make this fold more often then they'd admit as they want to save that bet, because maybe they're having a losing session and they don't want to lose MORE, or maybe they have only a slight win so why dump "good money after bad"...

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com