View Single Post
Old 08-24-2005, 09:15 AM

Default Re: Try to get me to stay in school....

I had similar problems with engineering. High school was pretty much a cakewalk and it was quite a shock getting to college and finding I couldn't just finish my engineering homework before or during class or within an hour of getting home from classes. I eventually switched majors which I don't think was a bad thing. I went the easier route...well not initially since I thought about being a Math/Quantitative Economics major. Once I was failing linear algebra though I quickly decided and hoped on computer science working out which it did.

I think you should at least get your degree. You have just two more years? Finish it up. You likely won't go back later or if you are forced to, do you think it will be any easier? Right now you have no worries, a scholarship, etc. etc. Maybe you won't end up with that typical 9-5 job when you graduate, but at least you have the degree to fall back on should poker not work out.

Also, it's not like you will necessarily be stuck at $50,000 a year with an engineering degree for the rest of your career. It all depends on what you make of it. There's something to be said about having a stable job and income as well. If you've seen some of the posts of others who have tried to make a living as a pro you can see there are quite a few ups and downs and tremendous stress. Maybe you are a natural and won't feel that kind of stress. You might even argue you don't now, but you are still in school. Until you are supporting yourself and maybe a family you probably won't know the extent of the stress that trying to play poker for a living might bring.

Get the degree. You won't be sorry. If you continue to play poker and make it a living...very cool, but get the degree as some sort of insurance while you have the time and means.

Eric